Friday, July 26, 2013

The Last Several Books...

It would be hard for me to write about every books I've ever read, as it would probably mean at least a month or two of cataloging my books, let alone writing something about each one. When I had more free time, I'd get through two or three books a day and that adds up really fast. I've decided to talk about the last few books and stories I've been into and just write about older books if I end up referencing them in other reviews.


1. The Game of Thrones

The big one I'm going to start with, as it's probably the most popular is The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin. I must admit that I wasn't going to start reading these because I really hate waiting for new books in a series to come out and I know he is not done writing yet. It's one of my biggest fears that I'll start reading a series and the writer will die and I'll have no idea what is suppose to happen. However one of my friends was reading the books and I much prefer to have someone to talk with while reading and that doesn't happen very often for me. Plus I decided someone has to know what is going to happen so they can finish the TV series (that I have not started watching). So I went ahead and bit the bullet and got the books and now I'm waiting for the next one to come out, even though I don't really care what happens to over half of the people in the book.

I know some people are going to hate me for saying that as I know many who love the books and cannot stand anything bad being said about them. But it's true. I really do not care about most of the characters. I find myself wishing he'd just get on with it and just tell me what's going to happen, and not in an I'm-so-excited-to-find-out-what-happens-next! sort of way.

I think most of this feeling just comes from the fact that his writing style is not my favorite. Though I could be wrong, it seems to me that he's trying to write in Tolkien's voice and instead of being epic, the story is just dragging.

But, I haven't read to the end of the story so these are just my impressions now. Who knows; perhaps I'll eat crow when I read the last two books and realize just how tied together and awesome everything is. I'm doubting it, but I hope I'm surprised!


2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane

This is a book I have been looking forward to for awhile. The only thing I was disappointed about when I went to pick it up was the size. I wanted to fall into a world for hours and wander around the city caught in another world, not spend thirty minutes in a coffee shop and finish it!

The length aside, I loved it. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite writers because of the sense of nostalgia I feel when I read his work and this book gave me the most of any of his past work. I even signed up for an audible account so I could listen to Mr. Gaiman narrate it. I usually dislike audio books because I prefer to read myself, but I will sometimes make exceptions if I really, really like the narrator (Benedict Cumberbatch!) or if the narrator is the author and said author is British.

So, truthfully, I have been through this story twice, once reading, and once listening. It was magical both times and I might go back and read it again.

I just wish it was longer...


3. Stranger in a Strange Land

I just... can't even. It was awesome. I'm going to read it again and actually write a lot about this one. Just had to write it here so I wouldn't forget, though I don't think I will. It's by Robert A. Heinlein, and I really hope he's written more as well.

4. To Lose the Sun

This book by Don Luenser is one I had gotten for free a few weeks ago from Kindle. It's hard science fiction and really interesting, but really depressing as well. First of all, in the first few chapters there were some problems with grammar and some stylistic choices that just kept knocking me out of the story. It did seem to get better (or perhaps I just got used to it) and I was able to enjoy the story as much as possible. It reminded me a bit of Hatchet by Gary Paulson, or My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. I don't think the story was meant for a young adult audience, but I think that's who would really enjoy it the most.

But the most depressing thing about this story is I see no way these people can survive on a planet that just lost their sun by living in caverns next to a volcano and they have no idea what a volcano even is. They seem to understand the fact that they will be living in a never ending winter, but I can't see how this can possibly end in anything other than death for everyone.

I've decided to actually buy the next book, and since it's supposed to be a trilogy I'll buy the last book as well whenever it comes out. I have to know if the ending will be as depressing as I think it has to be.

5. Anti-requiem: New Orleans Stories

I'm almost done reading this book, so I'm not going to say much about it. However, it did clue me in on this wonderful guy, so I thought I'd share: 

I think that's enough for now. Whew, I'm a bit out of practice writing. That wore me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment